Wednesday, 21 January 2015

In closing...


As the international practicum draws to a close and the new semester begins, here's my closing post about the trip (written on all the nights I couldn't sleep due to jetlag ha ha). 

-

Despite completing 2 practicums locally, I was thirsting to learn more, and the International Practicum Exchange with the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) provided me with the perfect opportunity to broaden my horizons, opening my eyes to an education system that is so different (and at the same time so similar) to Singapore's system. 

Right from Day 1 of our arrival at Santa Barbara, all 5 of us were under the constant and unfailing guidance and care of Peggy and Sarah, our coordinators from UCSB. They were our pillars of support throughout our stay there, ensuring that we were safe and settled in, and helping us with just about anything we needed help with. We are very grateful for their presence. 

As a student teacher on the Primary track, I was attached to a 1st Grade class at an elementary school in the Goleta Union School District for 5 weeks. My initial reaction was fear and apprehension - I had never taught a 1st Grade class (Primary 1 equivalent in Singapore) - and I was completely clueless about working with such young children. 

However, throughout my 5 weeks of interaction with my class, I discovered that my fears were unfounded. More than the learning of valuable classroom management techniques and pedagogical strategies to develop students' English language and Mathematical skills, I formed an indelible bond with my students, journeying together with them and simply being a part of their classroom life. This is a class which I will never, never forget. 



The cultural exchange also took place naturally and wonderfully - I was so glad that I had the opportunity to conduct a few Social Studies lessons on the various Chinese New Year customs and traditions in Singapore. A notable highlight for me was when I taught my students to make paper lanterns as part of a lesson about the Mid-Autumn Festival. In turn, I learnt about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa (which they celebrate in America) and deepened my knowledge of American history. 



Living with a host family for 2 weeks also proved to be a unique and memorable experience. They were very welcoming and inclusive, and I was so glad that I had the opportunity to be a part of so many activities that are integral to the American life. 

Living overseas has also forced me out of my comfort zones - many times, I found my beliefs challenged, my ideas questioned. I learnt to be more open-minded to differences, to embrace difficulties, and to surrender to the beauty of nature. 

Yet, despite the challenges of living 8,610 miles away from home, I would never trade this experience for anything. Above all, it has moulded me as a teacher; giving me the determination and motivation to marry the merits of both education systems in my future classroom, and in the process, hopefully create a positive and student-centric classroom that will inspire a thirst for knowledge and discovery in all students. 

It has been a beautiful 7-week journey in the United States. Thank you, NIE and UCSB, for making it all possible, and thank you to all who have accompanied us on this journey. 



Much love, 
Pei Jin.
PJ Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing your closing thoughts, PeiJin. I like all the above photos, especially the ones with you all jumping over the fence (looks that way). The class room looks nice with the Chinese lanterns.

    ReplyDelete